Feedback/Questions

If you have any topics you would like me to cover or just general feedback on blogs I have written feel free to email me at helloriker@hotmail.com.

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Mock Gaming Build

This is a mock gaming computer build. Just to see what kind of stuff is out there currently. I could build a decent gaming machine for quite a bit cheaper but was attempting to go more top of the line for this build.

Mother Board: 127.13
Proc: $167.99
Ram $73.99
Video Card: $154.99
2 Hard Drives $179.99
Case $99.99
Power Supply $99.99

Total 1084.06 + add ons.

I was targeting around $1000 for the core components of this build. I wanted to go fairly top of the line in most categories. The one thing I am not satisfied with is the CAS rating of 6 for the ram. This however was the fastest CAS rating of any DDR3 ram I could find on new egg. Hopefully the increase in bus speed compensates for the ram itself being quite a bit slower then its DDR2 counter part.

Also I could probably cut back and get a slightly cheaper mother board. This board however was a top of the line board not that long ago and the price has dropped dramatically so I felt it was worth the extra 30 dollars. I could not find on the web if this supports RAID or not but I believe it does.

Where this machine really shines is in the hard drives and processor. Reports that this proc will overclock to 4ghz and be stable are out there. I have yet to try itmyself however so be cautious. Also those 2 drives appear to be the fastest out there right now at least at this price point. Having 2 of them striped will allow for blazingly fast load times of games as well as any streaming media in the background.

If I ever manage to build this machine I will provide bench/perf numbers.



Please check out more articles at http://techtify.blogspot.com

3 comments:

  1. Why not go for the i7 MB/CPU and 6GB DDR3 memory? I also challenge the video card selected. You mentioned top of the line, go for the DirectX 11 certified cards man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. you can build the above for around $1200

    ReplyDelete
  3. The new I7s are very expensive even the cheapest one was over $100 more and was 400mhz slower. Also there is also no reason to go to 6gb of DDR3 ram. As it was I considered going with DDR2 ram to get a better CAS rating. 6GB is adding extra costs that won't get you much benefit.

    Also there is no reason to worry about DirectX 11 yet. By the time it has really made a splash in the gaming industry it will be at least 18 months out. By that time the DirectX 11 card you are buying now is half the price. I chose that video card because of the ammount of Ram the clock speed and the ammount of stream processors.

    If I increased my budget by $300-$400 then I may consider these suggestions. As it was I went over my target budget of $1000 but was close enough I thought it worth posting.

    ReplyDelete